Director of Development – Mass Budget
Job Title: Director of Development
Job Type: Full or Part Time
Location: Boston, MA
MassBudget is seeking a well-organized, dynamic, and highly effective Director of Development who shares our staff and board’s enthusiasm for, and deep commitment to, our mission: producing non-partisan policy research, analysis, and data-driven recommendations focused on improving the lives of low- and middle-income children and adults, strengthening our state’s economy, and enhancing the quality of life in Massachusetts. The nature of development work at MassBudget requires an understanding of the policy issues we cover.
MassBudget conducts rigorous policy research, always with an eye towards presenting our work in ways that are accessible to and easily used by grassroots organizations, the media, policy advocates, policy makers, and anyone else working to make life better in our Commonwealth. We have an annual operating budget of a little over $1 million. We are the Massachusetts affiliate of several national networks including the State Priorities Partnership, the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s Kids Count network, and the Economic Analysis and Research Network.
- Developing and leading the implementation of annual development plans.
- Managing stewardship of individual, organization, and foundation supporters.
- Identifying potential new foundation and major individual supporters and developing and implementing strategies to secure support.
- Managing Assistant Development Director who drafts grant reports and applications.
- Maintaining fundraising database (we currently use Raiser’s Edge but hope to transition to Salesforce this year) and assorted grant tracking systems.
- Overseeing annual direct mail and email fundraising appeals.
- Organizing periodic fundraising and stewardship events.
- Working with the Board’s Fundraising Committee and full Board to support their fundraising.
- Very strong written and oral communication skills.
- Very strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and manage deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage up and support President and Board in their development responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with a wide range of people.
- Commitment to and understanding of how effective state policies can improve the lives of low- and middle-income people.
- Comfort working with Raiser’s Edge, Excel, and the full Office suite.
- Two to five years of development experience (we would consider candidates without development experience who have significant related experience and exceptional skills in the areas necessary to be an outstanding Director of Development).
Additional Desirable Skills and Experience
In addition to core development responsibilities, this position could include communications, policy analysis, finance, or technology elements if the candidate has expertise in these areas:
- Media and communications experience, including traditional and/or social media.
- Policy research, preferably with a fiscal analysis component.
- Public speaking to diverse groups.
- Financial management.
- Web and computer skills (including designing infographics or interactive web tools).
We also seek candidates who have fluency in a foreign language with a large presence in Massachusetts.
Salary and Benefits
The position may be full time or part time, if the candidate has the capacity to excel as Director of Development while working less than full time. Salary is competitive based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget provides generous benefits including health care, vacation, and a 401k plan.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “YOUR NAME, Applicant for Director of Development” in the subject line. This position is open until filled.
MassBudget has a strong commitment to diversity. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of our organization.