Foster Care Adoption Recruiter – MA Adoption Resource Exchange (MARE)
Job Title: Foster Care Adoption Recruiter
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Newton, MA
The Wendy’s Wonderful Kids Recruiter for the Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange, MARE, will be an agent of change in the lives of the children waiting in the foster care system in Massachusetts. The Wendy’s Wonderful Kids Recruiter will recruit permanent adoptive families by managing an appropriate caseload and by employing an intensive and exhaustive Child Focused Recruitment Model for children in the Central and Eastern part of the state. The position is funded by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.
- The candidate will maintain a caseload of 12-15 active children. Recruiter will meet at least once a month with each child on their caseload to develop trust, openness and to assess the child’s strengths, challenges, preparedness for adoption and child’s needs in order to move forward with adoption. A written assessment of adoption readiness should be developed initially for each child and updated quarterly to enhance the child-focused recruitment plan.
- The candidate will initially meet with Department of Children and Families caseworkers (and as new cases are acquired) to introduce their role, gather initial referral information, establish a date to begin case file review and schedule meeting times with child. Monthly contact with each child’s caseworker is essential.
- Conduct an exhaustive and in depth review of each child’s case file.
- Assure that the child is prepared for adoption and will assure that during the matching process that the family is adequately prepared to meet the needs of the child.
- Meet with the significant adults in each child’s life and maintain regular and ongoing contact (caseworkers, foster family, attorney, CASA volunteer, teacher, relatives, therapist, faith-based representative, extracurricular activity leader).
- Develop a comprehensive recruitment plan defined by each child’s needs based on the file review, interview with significant adults and the input of the child. The plan will be reviewed quarterly and updated as needed.
- Conduct a diligent search of potential adoptive families and identify connections and conduct aggressive follow up with these identified contacts with the knowledge and approval of the child’s caseworker.
- Responsible for using the Wendy’s Wonderful Kids Child Focused Recruitment Model.
- Report back monthly to the Dave Thomas Foundation progress towards permanency for each child. Participate in monthly phone calls with the Dave Thomas grant manager.
- Attend the annual Wendy’s Wonderful Kids Recruiter Summit hosted by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and initial new worker training in Ohio.
- Attend monthly staff meetings at MARE in Newton and special events as needed to provide assistance.
The candidate for this position will have a Master’s Degree in Social Work or a related field with at least two years of child welfare experience, preferably in foster care adoption. A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or a related human service field and adoption experience may be substituted for a Master’s Degree. MA state license in Social Work is preferred but not required. Strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and interpersonal skills are required. Must be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a collaborative team member. Must be willing to travel throughout eastern and central MA. Valid driver’s license, auto insurance and access to car required. Must be detail oriented for the purpose of accountability of time and productivity.
Comprehensive benefits package.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
MARE is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applicants who have demonstrated success in working with diverse populations.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED